- 1 (12 pound) whole turkey
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 cups warm water
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons seasoning salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Rinse and wash turkey. Discard the giblets, or add to pan if they are anyone's favorites.
- Place turkey in a Dutch oven or roasting pan. Separate the skin over the breast to make little pockets. Put 3 tablespoons of the butter on both sides between the skin and breast meat. This makes for very juicy breast meat.
- In a medium bowl, combine the water with the bouillon. Sprinkle in the parsley and minced onion. Pour over the top of the turkey. Sprinkle seasoning salt over the turkey.
- Cover with foil, and bake in the preheated oven 3 1/2 to 4 hours, until the internal temperature of the turkey reaches 180 degrees F (80 degrees C). For the last 45 minutes or so, remove the foil so the turkey will brown nicely.
- 2 lb Asparagus
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt & pepper
- Snap woody ends off asparagus. Place remaining stalks in shallow dish. Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper; shake dish to coat asparagus.
- Place asparagus on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill, turning occasionally, until tender-crisp, about 6 minutes. (Make-ahead: Let asparagus cool for 10 minutes; cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Serve at room temperature.)
- 2-1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 5 to 7 Tbsp. ice cold water
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 4 large apples)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice (optional)
- PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Mix flour and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening using a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- ADD water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, mixing lightly with fork until flour mixture is evenly moistened and clings together when pressed into a ball. Divide dough in half; shape each half into 1/2-inch-thick round. Wrap each dough round in plastic wrap; refrigerate 15 min.
- MEANWHILE, toss apples with sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice in large bowl; set aside. Place 1 dough round between two large sheets of plastic wrap; roll out dough with rolling pin to flatten slightly, working from center of dough to the edge. Turn over; continue rolling until dough round is about 2 inches larger than diameter of inverted 9-inch pie plate.
- PEEL off top piece of plastic wrap; invert dough into pie plate. Peel off remaining piece of plastic wrap; press dough evenly onto bottom and up side of pie plate, being careful not to stretch the dough. Trim any dough hanging over edge of pie plate with sharp knife or kitchen shears; reserve trimmings.
- FILL with apple mixture; set aside. Roll out remaining dough as directed; place over filling. Trim top crust about 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold edge of top crust under edge of bottom crust; pinch edges together to form a ridge. Flute edge (see Tip). Cut several slits near center of pie to allow steam to escape.
- BAKE 45 to 50 min. or until juices form bubbles that burst slowly. Cool.